Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Popular Wednesdays

This week I'm thankful for....

James Blunt - It started with Goodbye My Lover, and it's still going strong with Same Mistake.

Ravel's Bolero - Maybe it will get me in the mood...to write love scenes. What did you think I meant?

Private Practice - This show wants you to swallow a lot to believe the set up--Really? Doctors working together in a commune-like setting? Addison's really not rotting away in private practice when she could be saving a bazillion lives in a huge hospital every week?--but they made up for it last week with two love scenes and a switch at the end that totally had me thinking they had it going on. Anybody else for Taye Diggs at the end? It's still on my TIVO.

300 - I watched it for the rippling abs and got so much more. The reviews I read made it sound like a flashy, but in the end, empty piece, something you wouldn't remember the next day. When I wasn't covering my eyes from spurting arteries, I thought there was a great story in there. None of the emotion was overdone (emotion, I said, I'm not getting into the other parts). As a romantic at heart, it would take a lot for me to send Leonidas and the rest of the 300 to their death without feeling there had to be another way. But I bought the whole thing, and even cheered them on. Even his queen making a deal in exchange for her body seemed noble, when it could easily have gone the other way. Interspersed as it was with scenes of hardship from the front lines, it showed her doing her part for the battle, sacrificing as her husband sacrificed, and carrying wounds to show for it. I believed, and I want to thank the movie makers for that.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. In my family, as everyone's gotten older and spread out across the country, it's not easy to get together for all the big holidays. Thanksgiving has fallen by the wayside, and we focus on Christmas. That's fine with me. On Thursday morning, my daughter and I will be watching the parade cuddled up on the sofa while my husband starts the turkey. Later, we'll watch football, in our cozy home filled with the smells of turkey, cranberries and pumpkin, and later go over to some friends to have dessert.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

1 comment:

Jennifer Linforth said...

300? Yet another Gerald Butler fan? Will I never escape that man and the movies he has *ahem* hunked up?

(Sorry.. you know what I write, I could not resist...)

Happy Thanksgiving to you! I love watching the parade as well. We always much on cinnamon buns and get a kick out of how the parade has changed over the years.

I am thankful for all my writing buddies! ;)

Jennifer