Monday, November 26, 2007

Perfectionist Nina vs. Practical Nina

This Past Weekend - 2 trips to Starbucks (on the same day)
Christmas Tree? - Check
Christmas panic setting in? - Check
Golden Heart panic waltzing with Christmas panic? - Check

Since I know I have a few other writers that read this, I had some writerly questions for you that all now seem stoopid. Maybe we can expound on the theme of working on a book after the thrill is gone. I have a book like that--my baby, my opus, the best idea evah!--and yet now I want to toss it out the window and watch the pages flutter away in the breeze. My brilliant CP, Celeste, says finish it! Get on with your life! Oh, how I want to.

Or perhaps I just need to read an article on buckling down and finishing the icky, revising part of the whole book writing process.

Which way to go -- Perfectionist or Practical?

3 comments:

Jennifer Linforth said...

OH DEAR LORD.

I was just whining about this to the other Nina--le dear old CP.

Whing about how I want to get cracking on other books, but there are certain ones you are tied to... no getting out from underneath them. You love em! You hate em! You love em!

Right now it is the one I am editing. The opus series forthcoming. My debut novel... my baby... my headache... my contracted committment...

Work on them both, Nina. Pick the one you thing you have to focus on but choose one or two days a month (more even--maybe one week a month) where you work on your other stuff. Balance it that way.

Remember it is not just the writing you will be tied to. It is the marketing and networking.

That will grow on you like a second skin, just like those words of that book you want to toss out the window.

And I didn't know you enter the GH! WAY TO GO! Gulp... next year I enter the Rita. (Still laughing about that. If I win--I am taking all of MERWA out on the town!)

Jennifer

Celeste said...

Finish IT, Finish IT, Finish IT.

okay, that was my little doom-on-you chant (from Ice Age? The Tai Kwon Do-dos? Oh never mind.)

I'm telling you to just finish it because I let everyone fill me with self-doubts about MEB, and I LOVED that book. Not as it ended up after all the annoying rewrites, but AS I WANTED IT. So what if Jason was an asshat? So what if Allie didn't "get it" until the very end. It was the story I meant to tell. Don't lose track of the story you meant to tell in all the critiques and contest sheets. Gabe doesn't have to be an Alpha male. He can be just Gabe.

Just FINISH!! I want to read the end.

Jennifer. You said "get out from underneath". Heh, heh.

Nina Mamone said...

Thanks girls. Yes I need to FINISH IT! If I don't, Celeste is liable to shoot me. Or tape my mouth shut so I can't whine.